Strategy and Work Plan for 2019-2023
The IPSASB adopted an open and inclusive process throughout the development of the 2019-2023 Strategy and Work Plan. This included discussions and dialogue with different stakeholder groups including: (a) National standard setters (through the Public Sector Standard Setters Forum); (b) Jurisdictions using IPSAS or in the process of adopting and implementing IPSAS; and (c) The IPSASB Consultative Advisory Group (CAG) and the Public Interest Committee (PIC). Based on the consultations and feedback received the IPSASB approved its Strategy and Work Plan 2019-2023 in December 2018.
To ensure it delivers in the public interest, the IPSASB’s strategic objective is:
Strengthening Public Financial Management (PFM) globally through increasing adoption of accrual-based IPSAS. Delivered through two main areas of activity, both of which have a public interest focus:
- Developing and maintaining IPSAS and other high-quality financial reporting guidance for the public sector; and
- Raising awareness of IPSAS and the benefits of accrual adoption.
The IPSASB will implement its Strategy and Work Plan 2019-2023 through two streams:
- Delivering global standards by:
- Setting standards on public sector specific issues;
- Maintaining IFRS alignment;
- Developing guidance to meet users’ broader financial reporting needs;
- Inspiring their implementation by:
- Promoting IPSAS adoption and implementation; and
- Advocating the benefits of accrual in strengthening PFM.
The IPSASB’s top standard-setting priorities through 2023 include completing its current public sector specific projects, notably revenue, leases, public sector measurement, heritage and infrastructure, as well as making progress with its new public sector specific projects, including natural resources.
To develop standards on critical areas in public sector accounting, the IPSASB proposes to take on three new major public sector specific projects – accounting for natural resources, discount rates and differential reporting – all of which will provide great public interest benefits to a wide range of constituents.
The IPSASB will also continue to maintain convergence with International Financial Reporting Standards, where appropriate, and to work with others to promote IPSAS adoption and emphasize the importance of accrual-based information for strengthening PFM.